There is a common belief that to enjoy life, one must hop into a plane, travel to a far land and spend an eternity away from home. This belief has made people slaves who work for years, save a little money and leave their country. The years in between before they make enough money to travel are always defined by stress as they try to make enough for their trip. You do not have to do that. There are many activities you can do locally.
Why You Should Fly Less
- It saves the environment: Have you ever imagined how much energy it takes to keep a plane it the skies? The fuel used to power planes uses a lot of energy to produce. If you do not take a flight, that is one person less. If only another person thinks like you, then there will soon be one whole plane with no passengers in it, hence fewer trips.
- Saves money: Air travel is expensive. Sometimes, it ends up not being worth it, as some people end up spending almost half of their vacation budget on flight tickets. Just think of what you can do with that money locally. If you are passionate about the environment, you can channel the money you would have used into more meaningful causes. This includes tree planting, supporting a group that is doing activities on climate change, among others.
- Reduces stress: Scheduling a flight can be stressful. Add that to the anxieties that come with travelling to a new place, and you can end up with depression. There are many articles about how airports can be stressful, and there are people who admit that the thought of going through the airport security checks can cause discomfort and stress.
- Better use of time: When you spend your time locally, you get to use your time better by interacting with friends around you. You can also get fully involved in useful programmes such as the ones aimed at saving the environment.
What to do when staying locally
If you have decided not to get on a plane and leave your hometown, then it is time to start thinking of what you can do with your time. You will be surprised at the numerous possibilities of activities you can engage in. Some of them include:
- Take time to relax: This may sound like a cliche, but you really need to take time off work and enjoy yourself. Even if it means spending a few hours napping, watching a movie, or getting a relaxing massage. If you enjoy some gambling, you do not need to travel far to play your favourite game at a casino. You can find trusted sites such as bingo.com great britain that allow you to place your bets online.
- Champion a cause: If you are passionate about the environment and are wondering what you can do to add your voice on the debate about climate change, then you should consider championing a cause. It can be anything, from encouraging young people to recycle, planning a walk to save the environment to holding a peaceful march to stop manufacturing companies from dumping waste into the ocean. Remember whatever you plan to do, make sure you are passionate and determined.
- Acquaint yourself with your surroundings: Do you really know what is around you? Have you visited all the beautiful places around you? You will be surprised to learn that there are many interesting places locally that you can visit. You can also use the opportunity to know the people around you, and even volunteer to do activities that you love. Maybe you can join a team of neighbours for tree planting or any fun activity that is going on around you.
Do not be too quick to leave your home thinking that you can only find happiness when you travel far. Also sometimes, the best things are those that are located closest to you.